My family loves honey baked ham. We have it every Easter, Thanksgiving & Christmas. My sister used to be a high-level leader at The Honey Baked Ham Company. As a result, we used to get a pretty good discount. She left the company a few years ago and we lost our discount. Honey Baked Ham prices are outrageous. They markup the price anywhere from 300%-400%. However, my sister was close with someone who oversees the Honey Baked Ham production process. A few years ago, my sister reached out to her contact for help and the contact gave us a copycat recipe. The flavor is simply intoxicating and we have been using it for years now. Here is the recipe.
8 lb bone-in spiral-sliced half ham
2 Tbsp butter melted
2 Tbsp honey
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
1 tsp Bald Buck Bold Taste Seasoning
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp paprika
Pinch of allspice
- If using a slow cooker: Trim ham if needed, then place in the slow cooker. Combine melted butter and honey, then massage over ham, getting in between the slices a little. Cover and cook on LOW 4-5 hours.
- If using an oven: Place ham on a foil-lined roasting pan or super duty rimmed baking sheet. Cover ham loosely in foil. Bake at 275 for 12-15 minutes per pound.
- Combine all dry glaze ingredients into a bowl.
- Pat half the glaze mixture on the warmed ham then broil for a few minutes, until bubbly and a little caramelized. Then remove from oven.
- Put the remaining glaze mixture into a saucepan. Add 3 Tbsp of water, ham juice from the bottom of the slow cooker, or your favorite bourbon. Place on medium heat. Stir and heat to boil. Let it boil for a minute and then remove from heat.
- Brush or pour glaze over the ham then broil again for a minute. Be careful not to burn your ham. Remove from oven and let it rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold and I hope you love it as much as we do!